Heavenly Weightlessness
Twisting, turning, running, jumping...doing whatever I can to drop 177lbs and evolve into a healthy, fit me.
Monday, November 21, 2005
The Monday Leading In...
Charlotte was….nice in a very anti-climactic way. It’s a little like Atlanta except, as if it were possible, the people are even slower (service response and general aptitude), and most folks are transplants. With that being said, I suppose everybody couldn’t live in metro-Atlanta, so it’s good for them to be there. I visited relatives I hadn’t seen in five years. I didn’t expect anyone to notice all the work I’ve done on my body since I’m probably at the same weight I was when I saw them back then. It’s not so bad (looking the same vs. being bigger).

My aunt has Alzheimer’s and it scares everybody to death. My mom won’t talk about it and is afraid she’s going to have it, and my aunt’s kids are strained with how to take care of her. She’s living alone in a condo a half mile away from her son. I was saddened by the whole thing, but thought, for all that has been said about the disease (and her) that she’s doing pretty well in spite of things. It's very wierd watching my relatives grow older. It spoke to me even the more about getting healthy NOW so that I can be in good shape later.

The biggest highlight was being able to look through her old, family photo albums. She recognized most people (surprisingly). My daughter was able to find herself in it and therefore felt connected. Prior to this these people were “strangers” (in her words) and not appropriate to stay with…lol. This generation of the family has been quite estranged compared to the last, and as a result our kids don't feel connected. It's something else to put on the list to do something about. It was a great reunion.

I ate pretty well. I brought some NS stuff with me which was handy for being on the go. Saturday we ate at a soul food restaurant and I was able to get away with having a veggie platter (minus the lard, fatback, smoked hocks and anything else traditionally thrown in to add flavor). I treated myself to a falafel pita (love those…yum) and the worse thing I ate was a slice of pizza and a few fries I snuck off someone else’s plate. I got a workout in at the hotel’s fitness center, and did a little walking at the mall. Not bad.

This week I’m trying to have as much discipline as possible leading into Thursday. I’ve decided to give myself a day off then and just practice good choices/smaller portions. I think it’s going to be better to do it this way so I don’t have a deprivation reflex that’ll send me into a tailspin. We’ll be eating with friends. As a strategy I’m going to eat some salad and fruit in advance of going. This way I’m hoping to not be as hungry.

That’s pretty much it. Boy am I looking forward to another family visit this week, and a weekend full of football. In the words of Tiny Tim…God bless us, everyone.
posted by heavenlydm @ 11:38 AM  
2 Comments:
  • At 8:30 AM, Blogger Karon said…

    I'm glad you had a nice visit and things went well. Kudos on the eating. Sounds like you did well with that too.

    Your plan for Thanksgiving sounds good, also. It is pretty much what I intend to do as well. Enjoy your day!

     
  • At 11:51 AM, Blogger Bob said…

    I am glad you had a nice visit with your family. I give you credit on staying away from that delicious soul food. I don't know if I could have done it. I am a big fan of greens.

    I intend to follow the same plan for Thanksgiving. If this is supposed to be a lifestyle change, then meals like this are part of life.

    Enjoy the holiday, Diane!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: heavenlydm
Home: Southeast, United States
About Me: I'm doing all I can to be kicked out of "Chubby Chick USA."
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
The Main Dish

My Progress Pictures
Liberty Church
Nutrisystem
Fat Fighter Blogs
Jazzman's Support Forum

Fellow Loosers
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER