Heavenly Weightlessness
Twisting, turning, running, jumping...doing whatever I can to drop 177lbs and evolve into a healthy, fit me.
Monday, May 22, 2006
Living Like There's no Tomorrow
I had an unoriginal epiphany while watching a sappy Queen Latifah romantic comedy Last Holiday yesterday: live today like there's no tomorrow. The main character is diagnosed with some fatal disease and given three weeks to live. From that point forward she lived like there was no tomorrow which basically for her meant putting aside all of her fears and pursuing tomorrow's dreams today.

When we hear the phrase living like there's no tomorrow it usually has a negative connotation - living to the excess. But I started thinking, if I could eat like there was no tomorrow every day, that would mean I'd be as close to 100% as possible - not thinking I would eat and work things off the next day. I would think about the consequences of my actions today in light of how they will affect me today. I'd ask myself questions like: should I eat more of this knowing it may take me over my caloric intake for the day, make me feel sluggish, interrupt my regularity or take me to the opposite extreme (the laxative effect of those daggone sugar-free candies when you eat enough...I know - T.M.I)? I'd be spared the task. I'd like to think I'd nourish me for today, one meal at a time.

On the relationship front, I'd handle my business in such a way that there wouldn't be any loose ends. I'd be held to a higher standard to love more openly, forgive more quickly, and be more generous. My goal in life is to bounce my last check...give away every earthly thing I have because I won't be able to take it with me when I die. I'd live today in such a way to demonstrate the legacy I want to leave behind, not taking anything for granted in uncompromised integrity. I'd make sure those I love know I love them, and give them my utmost attention and respect - giving them their flowers while they're alive.

I thought about all of the things I see as hinderances to me doing things I want to do, being who I want to be, or going where I want to go...and thought - this is ridiculous. My mindset is keeping me captive and I must break free. I think people make a lot of their own obstacles in the form of excuses. Perspective.

Lastly, I'd constantly be true to myself. I loved how this character was herself at all times, never trying to be anyone else or doing things to fit in. Her personal truth was refreshing in light of the pretentiousness of others. My personal mantra continues to be "I have nothing to prove" - though at times I have to say it more loudly to myself.

We all have a choice: embrace life today or put it off until the perennial tomorrow (when I'm thinner, healthier, more successful, more ________(fill in the blank). I'm choosing today.
posted by heavenlydm @ 1:55 PM  
5 Comments:
  • At 7:42 PM, Blogger Paul said…

    Good choice and I'm glad to see you are taking personal responsibility for making your own choices (you know how much I am always druming on that LOL). Have a good week.

     
  • At 11:47 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    What a great post! You make a great point. Sometimes we don't think about living life to the fullest until we think it's going to end. There are so many good reasons to make positive choices, and I think we should all keep them in mind as we go through our lives because the truth of the matter is none of us knows when this wild ride will end. We might as well take advantage of the time we have.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Blogger CarĂ© said…

    Wow! You're doing some serious soul-searching this week. What a great post!

    Care'

     
  • At 10:51 PM, Blogger Bear said…

    Dang, you are going to make me think now (LOL)!! It really is important to live for today. I'm just upset that I have waited so long to realize this myself. Great post D.

     
  • At 5:23 PM, Blogger Jamie said…

    What an inspiration you are. Thank You. I love your mantra "I have nothing to prove." Excellent. I shall remember this post. Well said.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: heavenlydm
Home: Southeast, United States
About Me: I'm doing all I can to be kicked out of "Chubby Chick USA."
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
The Main Dish

My Progress Pictures
Liberty Church
Nutrisystem
Fat Fighter Blogs
Jazzman's Support Forum

Fellow Loosers
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER