Heavenly Weightlessness
Twisting, turning, running, jumping...doing whatever I can to drop 177lbs and evolve into a healthy, fit me.
Wednesday, February 15, 2006
The latest, greatest
I’m starting to feel like a new person. I can’t pinpoint any one thing being monumental in this change as of late – I just feel different (different than the “different” I was feeling before). I feel a lot more powerful, positive and ready to go.

Oh gosh – I pigged out on seafood at one of my favorite local restaurants Legal Seafood eating shrimp, scallops, clams, crabcakes, calamari, oysters...and had a few slivers of birthday cake (I think I exercised the three bite rule). Oh God it was so good. I miss living next to the ocean and having the catch of the day. Anyway, I ate cake after asking everyone not to have a birthday cake for me...lol. I worked out three out of the four days I was there and managed to maintain for that week – which was also “hell week.” When I got home and all returned to normal I posted a two pound loss…very happy with that. They didn’t have any snow when I was home, but got slapped with a Nor’easter on the following weekend. It’s just as well – my daughter left her coat home and only had a fleece on when we were there.

My family was great. It’s funny that they talk about my weight loss numbers amongst themselves like a secret society, but don’t say anything when I’m there. Weird, huh? Anywho, they’re all proud of my progress (so I hear…lol).

I’m glad to be able to record a wonderful NSV…
I played volleyball last week for the first time in six months or so and I was immediately able to see how much more fit I am. Previously I would easily tire having to take a breather on the sideline every so often, have aching quads, hamstrings and heals, and have to go home and soak in a hot bath. Last week I hardly broke a sweat, had greater agility and leaping ability, and finished without feeling a single pain. I was flabbergasted about that. What a milestone. I’m not a gym whore for nothing!

My new slacks are already “roomy.” I can’t even feel bad about it because that’s the mark of progress. I’m trying to make a point of rotating through them so I can feel like I got to wear them for a while before I get rid of them.

I’ve been making progress with my resistance training. Not only can I see more definition, I’ve been able to increase the amount I’m lifting overall. Sometimes I just can’t believe my life is changing like this. I’m getting smaller, stronger, more fit and disciplined. I’m taking better care of myself. I look better. I feel better. It’s wild. I keep wondering what took me so long to come to this place in my life, to be ready to get rid of all the baggage and experience greater levels of joy.

I think about people who have gastric bypasses or go on crash diets and loose a heapload of weight quickly and feel sad for them. When I encounter the “others” – bypass people (we’ve got a bunch at my church) - I always find myself thinking about how I’m doing the right thing for me and not succumbing to the latest medical craze. I’ve worked my way down. I’m spared from the awful complications that accompany that stuff. I enjoy the feeling that I have invested time, energy, discipline and sacrifices which have produced a harvest. By the grace of God I am conquering something vs. having someone press the “easy button” and making the weight disappear. I’m so glad this is happening this way and neither I nor my daughter had one of those procedures. To each his own I suppose. I guess I just want to testify to the fact that weight reduction is doable in ways that are more healthy for your body in the long run. Maybe it’s the subject of my next book. I can start booking engagements on the talk show circuit…lol. I digress.
posted by heavenlydm @ 4:38 PM  
6 Comments:
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Emily said…

    Diane, you are so positive. You have done amazingly well, and I'm sure you hardly recognize yourself anymore. Glad you had a great birthday. And good job on that 2 pound loss. I'd take it too! Your gym whore-ness is paying off. That must have been a great feeling to play volleyball again.

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger O' Natur Nail said…

    yeah to the healthy way!!! you're doing grrreeaat!!! gotta love those NSV's! congrats :)

     
  • At 9:02 AM, Blogger heavenlydm said…

    Emily - I'm a maniac! I get out on the court and, being the ultimate competitor, I tease and taunt people and laugh the night away. It's all in good fun. I'm so glad to be doing this again. Our church is doing volleyball tournaments as a way for singles to connect. I'm so trying to get a grip on myself before then...lol. Thanks for the words of affirmation.

    Tressa - thanks for dropping a note. I'm so psyched about this season in my life.

    Krista - I think great people are drawn to each other :). Your compliments are always an inspiration to me.

     
  • At 10:39 AM, Blogger Karon said…

    Way to go, Diane! I have to agree wholeheartedly with your last paragraph about bypass surgery. I know I would have qualified, and I know I would have lost a lot more weight by now, but doing it "my way" I am also addressing all the underlying issues and resolving how and why I got fat in the first place. The good news is people like you and myself will keep the weight off because we worked so hard to get it off and we learned the lessons along the way. I'm so happy for you!

     
  • At 10:31 AM, Blogger Missy said…

    Diane,
    This is the first time I have noticed you on the NS profiles and I wanted to tell you that I think you are doing great! I love seafood. I am glad you were able to have a good time!
    Keep on keeping on! Ditto on what you and Karon said about bypass. That is what everyone where I work had been pushing and I was determined for it not to be me! Nobody is saying anything now about surgery. They are all becoming NS cheerleaders! As far as your family not bringing up numbers with you they might be afraid that they will say something to either hurt your feelings, or change your resolve. I know that over the decades I have let some of their comments influence me in a negative way. Looking back now, I don't think they intended them the way I took them. Here's to your continuance on your INCREDIBLE JOURNEY!

    Missy
    (NS Liketoride)
    365/261.5/115

     
  • At 8:47 PM, Blogger Bear said…

    Sounds like you had a good time and didn't go to overboard. Good job on the volley ball, NSV's are great!

    As for the bypass crowd, I know that for some people it's the right answer. The problem is now that so many people are using as a quick fix. There is no quick fix, hard work and self control are what really works.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: heavenlydm
Home: Southeast, United States
About Me: I'm doing all I can to be kicked out of "Chubby Chick USA."
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
The Main Dish

My Progress Pictures
Liberty Church
Nutrisystem
Fat Fighter Blogs
Jazzman's Support Forum

Fellow Loosers
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER